I’ve never been the kind of person who tidies up little by little. As a kid I would allow my bedroom to get into a worse and worse state until my mother told me I had to tidy up. Then as I got older I found my own personal threshold, somewhere before my Mum intervened, where I would choose to spend an afternoon racing around like a whirlwind, making the room presentable again. Things only got worse when I had a whole house to worry about, instead of just one room. When the geekdaddy appears to be able to walk around the house completely oblivious to the piles of stuff everywhere, and I am racing around trying to juggle work, childcare and everything else, tidying up is just not something I get around to doing very often.
However, there is nothing like an impending party to focus the mind. Especially when it’s the first birthday party you’ve ever held where your daughter’s school friends, with parents, who’ve never seen your house before, will be walking in through the front door.
Yes, the geekdaughter has decided this year that she wants her sixth birthday party to be at home. She wants to play pass the parcel and musical chairs, she’s requested a birthday cake in the shape of a number six, and it’s taken her two weeks to come up with the list of 8 (EIGHT!!! I must be mad!!) friends she wants to invite. And yes, I am stressing out about the state of our house. I’ve already booked my Mum in to help with a mad tidying session next weekend, but I’m still stressing.
So yesterday I went into whirlwind mode. The geekdaddy was out all day, the geekdaughter was at school, the geekson was happy to play on his iPad for a bit. So I decided I would tackle the horrible mess under the stairs. And I achieved this:
Now, admittedly you can’t see the full effect as I forgot to take a “before” picture. But take it from me, there was a lot of clutter under there. Yesterday I:
- Filled a black sack with shoes and coats that no longer fit anyone in our family, but had just been chucked under the stairs rather than being sorted out.
- Emptied out our coat cupboard, moving most of the coats that do still fit into the bedroom wardrobes, and only putting the few coats that we are actually wearing at the moment back. Ditto with shoes.
- Sorted out the box that had been randomly filled with scarves, gloves and hats. Again, sorted out those that still fit and put them away in the bedrooms.
- Moved the hiking backpacks and walking sticks upstairs ready to go into the loft (let’s be realistic here, eh?!)
- Sorted out a few baby things that I am never going to use again and that would be worth eBay-ing (*sniff* at the loss of the Ergo Baby Carrier and the HippyChick Hip Seat)
- Scanned over 250 DVDs with the Music Magpie app in readiness to sell them because quite frankly if it’s not on Netflix these days, we don’t watch it, and I might as well get a little of our huge investment back 🙂
So now I have a clear area under the stairs, and space in the coat cupboard. One less thing to worry about, although there’s still a lot of tidying up and decluttering I want to do before letting people who don’t know me very well into the house.